Free Hit Counters
Free Counter WACKY WEDNESDAY WISDOM: SUPERMAN'S DEATH BRINGS MANY TOGETHER

Sunday, December 16, 2007

SUPERMAN'S DEATH BRINGS MANY TOGETHER

(Photo at right is that of my childhood friend and college roommate and teammate, Kent Alexander, aka Superman) We had a class reunion of sorts this past week. But unfortunately it was for all the wrong reasons. We lost one of our best last Saturday. He was Mr. CHS (Cherryville High School) of 1982. The star quarterback in football, leading scorer in basketball, and all-state pitcher in baseball. But more importantly to me, Kent Alexander was my closest childhood friend. Living only a few houses apart, we spent nearly every afternoon together after school. We watched Batman and Robin every day we could. Then we would run through the woods from my house to his and fight, punch, and destroy all the bad guys disguised as trees that we encountered. He was always Batman and I was Robin. And that was okay with me. During high school, Kent became a legend. He pitched two complete games in two straight days our senior year to lead us to victory in the state championship. It was then that I knew my friend had not grown up to be Batman. He had become Superman. But even Superman is not immortal. And this past Wednesday I was handed the enormous task of delivering the eulogy at my friend’s funeral. I felt the weight of everyone’s emotions on me. His family, our classmates, and teammates. The community who loved him. It was an honor to represent all of them. And I think it turned out well. His family was pleased. My ninth grade English teacher said she had never been prouder. She even asked for a copy of my book. I told her if she reads the book that she won’t be so proud of my grammar. One of the effects of my friend’s death is the impact it has had on our schoolmates. I can’t say we’ve been all that close since we left high school, but all of sudden, this past week we couldn’t get enough of each other. The classes of 1982 and 1983 bonded like we never have before. Nobody wanted to leave after the graveside service. We hugged a little tighter and the words “I love you” flowed naturally and easily as we realized how much we have appreciated each other all along. It was so intense at one point that I even told our second baseman that I loved him. And he didn’t even punch me afterwards. How, you may ask, after more than twenty-five years of virtual separation, can such deep and meaningful bonding occur? I think it’s because the friends who we shared the wide-eyed dreams of our youth with will always have a special place in our hearts. Those childhood dreams ignited the passion that has guided us in our lives ever since. In my senior yearbook, Kent Alexander quoted a Bible verse in his comments to me. It was a passage from Isaiah that says “Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.” If they allow baseball in Heaven, I hope a time comes when there’s a game and all our classmates are there in the stands. I’ll be at shortstop and the starting pitcher on the mound will be my friend, Superman. And Superman will soar on wings like an eagle, and all will be right with the world once more.

1 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very nice article. I have enjoyed reading your articles. Kent will be truly missed. I remember all of us kids in the big neighbor. I tell my son all the things we used to do growing up. Kent made a name for himself while doing what he loved as you are doing now. Keep writing and enjoying life. Oh, I am sure he is playing baseball for Gods team right now. (neighborhood kid myself)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home