Free Hit Counters
Free Counter WACKY WEDNESDAY WISDOM: Maybe it's Time to Get With it

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Maybe it's Time to Get With it

Get with it. That was the main gist of a column I produced a few weeks ago. In it I reminded you that time flies these days. And if you’re not careful, you’ll drift through life and your dreams will drown in a sea of “what ifs.” For the record, I’m not encouraging folks to quit their jobs and try out for the NFL. I’m not condoning a mid-life crisis where you forsake your family responsibilities to go cliff diving in Mexico. None of that. I’m simply reminding my fellow human beings that fear shouldn’t hold us back from accomplishing those things we have dreamed of all our lives. I’m reminding others (and myself) not to put things off until later or later may never show up. Take for example, something on my “To Do Before I Die” (Bucket List) that I have now done three times. One of my goals was to speak in a foreign country, in a foreign church, in a foreign language. I did it in 2009 on my second mission trip to the Dominican Republic. Three nights in a row in a small church. And I did it again on my most recent trip to the Dominican. But this time was different. It was in front of a much larger crowd. And due to human error (mine), the task was made even more difficult when I discovered that my neatly prepared, properly translated into Spanish sermon was not on my person when I boarded the airplane toward my destiny. Upon discovering that I had left my notes in the USA, I attempted unsuccessfully to kick myself in the rear end. Instead I whispered “Stupid” over and over until the person next to me on the airplane started staring at me. It was obvious I would have to explain to my friends in the Dominican that I couldn’t preach because I had left all my notes at home. Then, for no particular reason, I started jotting down, in Spanish, some of the phrases I remembered from my message. Within minutes I had two full pages of notes (all in Spanish) and with it a whole new perspective. I can only say it was divine intervention, because to refer to my Spanish as shaky is too high of a compliment. I delivered the message in two different churches on the mission trip. And no one threw tomatoes. And just like in 2009, I think I heard an “Amen” or two from the congregation. I tell you all this so you can learn from my experience. First, make sure you have your notes with you before you speak. Second, it is physically impossible to kick yourself in the rear end. Third, anything worth accomplishing will have its share of setbacks. And fourth, God is good. So my question is this: Have you responded to the challenge? What have you done to “get with it” recently or in the past? I’d like to hear about it. I promise to keep you anonymous if I write about it. But I want to know. I crave inspiration. Email me at rstroupe002@carolina.rr.com and tell me about it. Yes, I’m taking a risk by throwing out my personal email address for possible junk mail and anonymous criticism. But in this case, I think it’s worth it. Inspire me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home