Free Hit Counters
Free Counter WACKY WEDNESDAY WISDOM: Time Moving Faster These Days so "Get With It"

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Time Moving Faster These Days so "Get With It"

I’ve always heard that as you get older, time moves faster. In the past I have scoffed at such silliness. But recently I collided head on with that very reality. I was standing at my bathroom sink placing my vitamins for the week into the seven separate compartments designed to organize my daily allowances, which seem to increase annually. As I began placing the pills into their slots, my mind emitted signals indicating that I had completed this very task two days before. And at first, I believed it. Then I realized it couldn’t be true, mainly because all the slots were previously empty, a sure-fire indication that it had been a full week since I had filled them. For the first time in my life, I realized the old saying was true. Time does move quicker as we get older. A week feels like two days. The full moon seems to be out every 10 days or so. And a new year loudly bursts on the scene while your ears are still recovering from “ringing in” the previous one. Take, for example, this whole column writing thing I do. As of this week, I have been at it for eight years now. That’s over 400 columns. Yet I’m certain I wrote my first one a few short weeks ago. But as I look back over some of my previous columns, I realize my oldest son- who is now a senior in high school- was the subject of many of my columns when he was in elementary school. I tell you all this not to complain, but rather to remind you (and me) that life truly is short. In 2001, a year before I moved back to North Carolina, while lying in bed one night, I realized I was another year older and I still hadn’t given my writing a chance. I had a secret desire to write columns and such, but for years had lacked the guts to throw it out there and see what would happen. The time had come for me to “get with it.” The next day I met up with an editor friend of mine and handed him a manila envelope with some of my writing inside. The rest, as they say, is history. So what is it that you’ve been putting off? Have you, like the unfaithful servant, taken some desire God has placed in your heart and buried it in the ground? Are you scared someone will make fun of you or that you’ll be told you’re a dreamer? Or that you will fail? Personally I think it’s worth the risk. Pick up that guitar and strum it. Dust off that piano keyboard and let the melodies flow. Pull out that old paint brush and stroke with it. Update the virus protection on your computer and fill your hard drive with stories and ideas. Thread the eye of the needle and sew something beautiful to wear. Put on your hiking boots and scale that mountain you’ve always dreamed of conquering. Dig up your tools and tinker with that old engine you’ve been wanting to fix. Leave the comfort of your pew and give your testimony before the church. Don’t let another day pass. Days can quickly add up to a lifetime of what ifs. Get with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home