Free Hit Counters
Free Counter WACKY WEDNESDAY WISDOM: WACKY WEDNESDAY WISDOM- Not upset about getting bumped

Wednesday, November 08, 2017

WACKY WEDNESDAY WISDOM- Not upset about getting bumped

     When I was growing up, my dad hugged folks at church. The older ladies loved him for that and many other reasons. My mom didn't mind. She hugged a lot, too. Dad was careful with the guys, giving them firm handshakes instead. I witnessed this as a lad and I never once saw anybody appear uncomfortable as a result. I thought then and still do now, that it makes for a better world when humans hug each other.
     Unfortunately a few perverts have ruined that. You can't hug people as much for fear of being suspected/accused of sexual harassment. Let me stop here before I get mean emails and comments and say that sexual harassment is real and inexcusable. I just think as a result, good and decent people now think twice before hugging other human beings and I wish that wasn't the case.
     All that being said, there are many ways people who know each other well can show each other physical, non-sensual affection. There's the high five, the fist bump, the handshake that leads to a hand-on-the-back-of -the-shoulder half hug, and the side hug (made popular by the Duggar family back when their TV show was largely non-controversial).
     There is also another greeting. It's when someone you know sorta sneaks up beside you and bumps you from the side, a hip to hip interaction that implies a semi-close relationship with another human. Not something you would try on a casual acquaintance, a pastor wearing his robe, a child, a biker wearing a spiked belt, or a police officer- but appropriate for a close friend of either gender, in my humble opinion. This type of greeting is known as the "Hip Bump".
     Recently I attended my son's high school cross country meet at a rival school. I informed the Mrs. that I was going to the finish line so I could video our favorite runner as he crossed the line. Several other parents were at the line as well so there was plenty of company, mostly parents from the rival school. Just as the first runner appeared in the distance, while my attention was focused in the direction of the runners, I was the recipient of a loud Hip Bump on my left side. Holding my phone/camera in the air and preparing to film, I didn't immediately react. "Watcha doin?" asked the Bumper. "Nothing much, just waiting to see where that child of mine is going to finish," I replied as I turned to acknowledge my assailant.
     Even before making eye contact, it became immediately obvious to me that I was the victim of mistaken identity. Rival school Mom knew right away I was not who she thought I was. I was extremely impressed how cool she played it. "Well I hope he finishes strong," she quickly said, without even so much as a stutter or crack in her voice. I played along by casually mentioning something about us being fortunate that the weather was so good. It took all the restraint I could muster not to say what I wanted to, which was, "We don't know each other, do we? I'm sure you thought I was someone else, didn't you? Are you humiliated bein's how you just Hip Bumped a total stranger?" But I didn't want to embarrass her or make things any more awkward for her.
     Some folks get upset about bumping, especially if they were preparing to board and flight and discover they've been bumped. And others don't like any part of their bodies being touched by another person, which is their prerogative. As for me, at that point I was enjoying the tension. Which is kinda weird, but that's me.
     Mrs. Bumper then gradually moved away from me, crossed to the other side of the running course and found some other friends to greet, though not with Hip Bumps. When I saw a guy near her sporting a wide brimmed hat almost identical to the one I was wearing, my excellent logical deductive reasoning abilities kicked in and I realized what had happened.
     We are told in 2 Corinthians 13:12 and in other verses to greet each other as believers with a holy kiss. Not sure that one is practiced too widely in the Church today but I do think it reminds us that appropriate physical touch is important in the lives of believers. Encourage, support, build up, pray for each other. And greet each other with a touch. But you might wanna make sure who it is you're greeting before you perform a Hip Bump.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home