Free Hit Counters
Free Counter WACKY WEDNESDAY WISDOM: WACKY WEDNESDAY WISDOM- Banquets, Forks, Chickens, and Excuses

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

WACKY WEDNESDAY WISDOM- Banquets, Forks, Chickens, and Excuses

     I've been to several banquets recently. Hall of Fame banquets, graduating senior dinners, athletic awards, academic awards, staff banquets, fund raisers, etc. They all seem to happen in late April and May. For a college baseball coach, that's prime time busy time. But that's when the banquets are, so I go whenever possible.
     Complaining I am not. Most of the banquets have a nice meal involved. And there's normally more than one fork at the place setting, which confuses and intimidates me. And the menu usually involves chicken. Normally grilled chicken. Which is okay by me because I like and prefer grilled chicken.
     My great aunt (rest her precious soul) was like a grandparent to me and imparted much wisdom upon me growing up. She advised that if I ever invited the pastor over for dinner, I shouldn't serve him chicken. When I inquired as to why, she dramatically bellowed out a poem about chicken, written by a pastor:

"I've had 'em young and and I've had 'em old,
I've had 'em hot and I've had 'em cold,
I've had 'em tender and I've had 'em tough,
But goodness gracious, don't you think I've had enough."

     Obviously I've never forgotten that nugget of wisdom even though it was spoken to me over 40 years ago. And I thought of it recently when I was enjoying grilled chicken at a banquet for the 6th time in less than ten days. (Again, not complaining). On a side note, I also notice that at each banquet, the most popular speakers were the ones who were short and sweet. So that's what I shall be now.
     The Bible tells of a banquet in Matthew 22 where a number of invited guests made lame excuses as to why they couldn't attend. Said one, "My son has a Tee League baseball game." Said another, "My family and I are headed to Myrtle Beach for vacation." Yet another said, "I am not feeling well", and he stayed home and used his new zero turn lawn mower to mow the grass to help himself feel better. (Okay, none of these are mentioned in Matthew 22, but the sentiment is similar. And before I get nasty comments, there's nothing inherently wrong with Tee Leagues games, the beach, or zero turn lawn mowers. They're all cool things).
     Anyway, the Master in the parable ended up inviting anybody his servants could find, and they were all treated to a wonderful banquet of fine drink and grilled chicken, with more than one fork to choose from.
     I hope I don't have any excuses on the tip of my tongue when God calls me to join Him at banquets here on Earth, especially the ones that don't involve food. Perhaps He needs me to join Him on a mission trip to a foreign land where His Word needs to be shared. Perhaps He wants me to accompany Him on a short visit to encourage a friend who is struggling. Maybe He beckons me to walk with Him as we stand together against injustice and corruption. Whatever the case, I hope I'm never too busy to accept the invitation.
    And if I'm particularly fortunate, when the Earthly banquets have ended for me, they'll serve grilled chicken at the Heavenly banquet. A little BBQ sauce on the side, please. And one fork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home