Free Hit Counters
Free Counter WACKY WEDNESDAY WISDOM: Hope Springs Eternal This Christmas

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hope Springs Eternal This Christmas

A few thoughts, if I may, about Christmases past, present, and future. Christmases past and present have been and are filled with clichés. Folks say, “You ready for Christmas?” and others reply, “I don’t think I’ll ever be ready.” And you hear people ask, “Did ya’ll have a big Christmas?” to which the standard reply is, “Yeah, too big.” People complained back then and still worry now that Christ is being taken out of Christmas. And even though we now know X is a Greek symbol representing Christ, it’s still not kosher to put up a sign with “Xmas” written anywhere on it. And you can’t say “gay apparel” anymore as freely as you used to could. The most memorable Christmas decoration I can remember from my youth was a Santa propped on a toilet next to a defunct truck tire with flowers in it, proudly displayed in somebody’s front yard. I made my parents ride by that house over and over again. Christmas past meant that one of my uncles would tell his “Randolph the Brown-nosed reindeer” joke on Christmas Eve. It was something about how Randolph could fly just as fast as Rudolph but couldn’t stop as quick. Us kids always got a kick out of that one. (At least he didn’t do the “pull my finger” trick.) But Christmas Eve also meant a candlelight service at my home church, where a choir member, usually Martel, would sing “Oh Holy Night.” I still visit my home church every Night Before Christmas and eagerly anticipate getting my “Oh Holy Night” fix, which never disappoints me. No Christmas is complete for me unless I’ve seen the Grinch and Charlie Brown specials. The other night, while watching Charlie, my fifteen-year-old said, “Dad, you know the reason I know all the words to this show? Because you make us watch it every year.” Dang straight I do. (Everyone should hear Linus’ oration every year- the part where he tells about the birth of Jesus.) And every year in the past and now in the present, we sing about winter wonderlands and sleigh rides with bells jingling. Yet I’ve never seen white on Christmas Day and I’ve certainly never dashed through the snow on a giant horse-drawn sled headed for Grandma’s house or anywhere else. But we sing it anyway because hope springs eternal. In Christmases past, present, and future- based on my nut allergy- I have been and will remain on the alert for goodies laced with nuts. Beware of fudge, banana bread, fruitcake (Ugh!), cookies, and everything else Christmasey you can think of. Concerning Christmases future, you may be expecting to hear gloom and doom but fear not, I bring you good news. Christmases future will witness an end to shoppers getting trampled with their treasures (more online shopping) and protests over the words people greet each other with during the season will cease. You’ll be able to say “Merry Christmas,” “Happy Hanukah,” or “Happy Holidays” because people will finally realize that a greeting is simply one’s way of expressing peace, love, and joy to the world- as opposed to trying to force a religion on you. And Linus, the Grinch, Randolph, and “Oh Holy Night” will still be around, even when I’m long gone. And Christ will still remain in Christmas. Because hope springs eternal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home